Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday 24 April 2008

You can learn a lot from Randy Pausch

Some of you will know who he is, some of you will not. As there isn't much baby news to talk about right now while I'm waiting to do my pregnancy test, I want to share something with those of you who don't know about Randy Pausch and I hope that it will inspire you and also get a better understanding of me and how it is I have managed to survive and stay happy through the loss of 5 babies as I share his beliefs.

Randy Pausch is dying. He probably only has a month or two left to live after pancreatic cancer was diagnosed a few months back. He is a University lecturer at Carnegie Mellon Uni in the USA.

While I was in the US doing treatment, ABC News did a special programme on him and a lecture that he gave back in September 2007, just one month after he was diagnosed.

It was moving, inspirational and there was a lot of truth in the words he speaks. I went out the next day and bought his book, which I read cover to cover right away, and plan to read again really soon!

So what is it all about? Well it's about how he has chosen to live his life in the past and how he will live it now he knows he is dying. He teaches what I feel are very valuable life lessons by example and just by hearing his stories.

To view his actual lecture you can see it on You Tube - right here, which is worth watching, and yes it is just over an hour long but will be an hour of your time that is worth spending on something so important.

To give you an idea of some of the things I remember from this here is what he teaches:

1. Life is full of brick walls that we all hit from time to time. But the brick walls are there for a reason - they are not there to keep us out, they are there to show how much we want something, and they are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough.

2. We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand.

3. When you are screwing up and no-one is saying anything to you any more, that's a bad place to be. It means they gave up - your critics are the ones who are telling you they still love you and care.

4. Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

5. Are you a tigger or an eyeore? (I'm a Tigger!)

And more - I'm not going to give all the good bits or you may not watch it, but I did and I enjoyed his words.

Randy, I know you are still out there and I wish you all the best - you have given me and many others (at least 6 million people have watched this now) some great life lessons to remember when times are hard. You are an inspiration and this world will be sad to lose you.

No comments: