Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday 26 October 2009

23 weeks pregnant

I didn't do the development last week as it was just too awful a week to even think about, but I know I must press on and keep things as normal as possible so where are the girls this week?

According to some, our babies now weighs a little more than 1.1 pounds and measures about 29cm from crown to heel. Their hearing is well established and they can make out a distorted version of my voice, the beating of my heart and my stomach rumblings. (which are many! lol) Loud noises that they will hear the uterus, such as the barking of a dog or the roar of a vacuum cleaner, probably won't bother them when they are born.

Fat is still being deposited at a rapid rate, but your babies will still look red and wrinkled. Skin is being produced at a higher rate than the fat is, so the skin hangs loosely. They look red because the skin is losing its transparency and pigment is beginning to form. (Sadly I remember this is true with Matthew, he was quite red when he was born).

They say I should be feeling them moving quite a bit throughout the day as they will kick and punch the uterus walls. (I can confirm this is true, they are moving a lot and kick me several times a day!) Babies also run their hands along the umbilical cord and touch their body parts while they are in the womb.

They can now can suck their thumbs for real, where she was just sticking it in her mouth before, and they will continue to swallow amniotic fluid and recycle it as urine.

The liquids and sugars that the baby retracts from the fluid is a supplement to the nutrients that the placenta delivers. They say I might be able to feel small `jumps` inside of me when one of the babies gets the hiccups from swallowing fluid. The pancreas is developing and it will responsible for insulin production, to help break down sugars.

Only 7 more days to our next milestone of 24 weeks.

1 comment:

Wendy From Maryland said...

Elly,
I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend's baby. I can only imagine the depth of her sorrow right now. I am also so sorry to hear about your cat's passing. I had to put my beloved 15 year old cocker Spaniel, Darby to sleep just two days before we found out our IVF cycle in April failed. it was the worst week of my life. I know how hard it is to lose a pet who is like a member of your family.
Thanks so much for writing about "what's going on" with the twins week by week. It's especially relevant for me because I'm 22 weeks pregnant with twins as well. All I have to do it read your blog to know what to expect next week! Thanks.