Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday 14 December 2009

30 weeks pregnant!

Wow, wow, wow. We made it to the 30's. I'm still in denial but it's slowly starting to sink in that this is real and this time, we will be parents. Just 8 weeks to go.

So what is going on in there this week?

I have read that their lungs and digestive tract are almost fully developed. Their growth in terms of their length will soon slow down, but they will continue to gain weight until they are born.

This week they will continue to open and shut their eyes. It seems they can probably see what's going on inside my uterus, and that they can distinguish light from dark and even track a light source. (I'd love to know how they know this!) They say that if you shine a light on the stomach, the baby may move it's head to follow the light or even reach out to touch the moving glow!! I shall have to put that to the test:)

Some researchers think baring your stomach to light stimulates visual development. But it says not to expect 20/20 vision when your baby is born (I wasn't!) – newborns can see a distance of only between 20cm and 30cm. Children with normal vision don't reach 20/20 vision until the age of about seven or nine! Oh and they now have eyebrows and eyelashes.

About a litre of amniotic fluid now surrounds them (each! no wonder I feel so heavy!), but that volume will now decrease as they get bigger and have less room in my uterus.

For several months, the umbilical cord has been their lifeline to me. Nourishment is transferred from my blood, through the placenta, and into the umbilical cord to each of them. Their bone marrow is now responsible for red cell production. These red blood cells will continue to service their bodies by transporting oxygen and removing the wastes. They are now also beginning to store iron, calcium and phosphorus.

No comments: