Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday 5 March 2010

The end of the first week alone

It's been an interesting and very busy week!

So far I've come to the conclusion that dealing with 4 week old twins isn't that difficult - until they both start screaming at the same time - then you are left with a choice - which one do you comfort/feed/change/play with first???

That's quite hard to deal with, there have been several times this week when one will start crying, maybe because she is hungry or needs a nappy change or just a cuddle, so you pick her up and deal with whatever her needs are. About five minutes in there seems to be some instinct with the other one that kicks in and tells her 'oh my sister is awake, I should be awake too!' and then the crying starts...

For any mother, it's hard to listen to your baby cry, most mums will rush in and pick up a crying baby within the first minute - but when you are sat on the sofa feeding one, while the other is in her cot, there is very little you can do to comfort her. This is hard to deal with - but I'll get used to it.

I've been reading a few books and one quote which stood out so far said "No baby ever died from crying" - so this is what I have to remind myself when after 10 minutes, and my heart is breaking because one is getting herself all worked up, but I can't deal with her because I'm dealing with the other (I've tried dealing with both at once and you end up with two crying babies!).

It will get easier as they get older and can sit up on their own, maybe even in a week or two when they are better at propping themselves up - I've tried feeding both at once but little Faith is still so tiny she just crumples to the side and falls over! and Emily is such a messy feeder on the bottle that you need both hands to deal with her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I read your blog entry to my husband this morning, I said "Finally someone understands my dilema!".
I delivered my twin boys on Feb. 3, so we are leading parallel lives. Mine across the pond in Maryland. My twins are compliments of SGFC IVF treatment as well. I wouldn't change anything, but it's been a long hard road.
I'd love to share advice, vent concerns, etc. if you are up for it!
Wendy from Maryland